Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thoughts on Recreation: Bird Hunting and Skiing


The same thoughts popped into my head several times during the Valentine's weekend I spent at a ski resort.

Could any of the skiers feel as deeply about their sport as I feel about bird hunting?

Almost instantly I would wonder, wouldn't I be offended if someone was as cavalier about bird hunting as I am about skiing?

For me, skiing is enjoyable, fun. It's done outside and is physically demanding, characteristics I appreciate. But to me it lacks the soul cleansing, gratifying sensation that comes with doing what you feel down to your toes that you were meant to do and do right. Conversely, skiing lacks the ability to break my heart if I feel I didn't live up to its code.

Is it wrong to think that the level of emotional commitment should be higher in bird hunting than other recreational activities such as skiing, since it involves the solemn act of taking the life of something so beautiful and meaningful?

No comments:

Post a Comment