Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kansas! Now What?

Okay, I've blurted out on this blog that I'm taking a pheasant hunting trip next fall from Michigan to Kansas. Now what?

So many decisions to make. For starters, I'll need to find a hunting partner to rope into going with me (and splitting costs).

Here are some more offhand considerations I'll need to address before making the road trip a reality, in no particular order:

 Approval from my wife.

 Vacation time. I can purchase additional vacation where I work. Will I have enough days to fulfill family vacations without purchasing extra days?

 Kansas? How do I know Kansas is where I want to go... I may want to research to see if Kansas is the best choice.

 If Kansas is the place, where in Kansas?... More research...

 Start saving for the trip. The boys will need college cash in the future that keeps increasing its pace in my face. Maybe Killian's can be replaced by Red Dog without much sacrifice.

 Pray for continued health.

 Brush up wing shooting skills. It would stink to save up dimes and vacation days only to crumble like generic brand saltines in the face of pressure in the form of flushing roosters.

 Make sure the dogs are prepared. Sure my two wirehairs did fairly well with very little prep before the Michigan woodcock season. But what happens when they're out of their normal routine? A little more exercise and some off-season bird work are in order.

I'm sure I'll come up with more things to consider as time progresses. In the meantime, I'll keep you posted here on my blog on how I'm doing getting ready for my trip to Kansas. Or Iowa, or North Dakota. . .

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it'll be easier to get wife approval if you invite her along. ;-)

    ReplyDelete